CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Tuesday, April 26, 2011

Housing-- 26 weeks, 5 days

I've been feeling more and more crowded in the little two bedroom trailer we rent. The addition with the laundry room is nice and the basement is great for storage, but the actual living space is feeling smaller and smaller. This morning when I let the dog out, I realized that the roof in the back of the laundry room is leaking and/or flooding from the neighbor's attached garage. That was fun to clean up.

I'm looking around thinking, "Why did we think we could live here for a whole additional year? Where are we going to put a baby?" There's no room in Evan's room. Aaron is reluctant to move his dresser into the addition (but I plan on winning that war). It feels like every room in the house is about to overflow. And the addition is apparently unliveable.

To top it off, Aaron was working in the yard yesterday when he was approached by our landlord, who lives next door. The landlord was concerned about the number of vehicles at the house for Evan's therapy and asked if we were running a business out of the house. Aaron assured him that we were not running a business and that it was only therapists. The landlord seemed like he didn't believe Aaron, so Aaron suggested I call and explain.

I called the landlord, and he really did sound upset. I asked what his concerns were, and he said "Wear and tear on the property." I asked what he meant, and he said the carpeting and the septic. I told him that the therapists rarely used the restroom, and I asked therapists to remove their shoes when they entered the premises. I also added that I had been careful to warn them to stay out of the landlord's way in our shared driveway and encouraged them to do sessions outside over the summer. I invited the landlord to come and inspect the premises, but he declined. He said he just needed to make sure we weren't running a business, and I told him we weren't. I even invited him to inspect the therapists' time sheets with the dates and times they were here recorded on them or the letter informing me of the waiver from the county worker. Again, he declined. He stated again that if we were running a business, he really needed to know. I said again that we weren't and whatever I could do to show him or assure him that we weren't, we were willing to do. He said that wasn't necessary but sounded doubtful and let me go.

I've been anxious and upset ever since.

I have always been a good tenant, here and any other apartment I've rented. Our rent is never late. We do our best to keep the property nice. Aaron puts time and energy into beautifying and maintaining the grounds. (The landlord even commented last summer that our yard looks great and that Aaron must have put a lot of money and work into it.) We've done our best to minimize the wear on the carpet and ensure that there are no stains because we knew the landlord put it in right before we moved in. The front door is literally falling off the hinge, moulding all around the house has been literally falling off the walls, but we haven't damaged the property at all. In fact, I think we take better care of the property than anyone else ever has. The landlord's accusation was truly insulting.

He didn't say it, but I'm guessing he'd like us to move out.

I don't think he could legally evict us, and there really isn't any reason to, but I have a feeling he's looking for a reason.

So Aaron and I go back to our discussion of moving. We've been casually looking at houses since our engagement and agree that we really don't want to move unless we're buying.

I really want to buy a house. I really want this house. It's not much. A manufactured home on about two acres with three bedrooms. Plenty of room for our little family in the Kiel school district and in a rural setting with neighbors nearby. It needs a bit of work, but Aaron and I love it.

Unfortunately, we're pretty sure our very tiny nest egg--and I mean teeny tiny because we really aren't able to save much--is not enough for closing costs, let alone a downpayment. We could easily afford the mortgage payment but just don't have the starting costs.

Sigh.

I know there's really nothing I can do except pray and ask the Lord to guide us. I'm not really happy with where I am right now but am sure with hard work, lots of penny pinching, and the Lord's guidance, we'll come to own a home and figure out what to do in the meantime.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hey! Thanks for sharing your thoughts!