CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Thursday, August 4, 2011

Baby Girl's Birth Story

Warning: There's about to be a whole lot of cervix talk. Still want to read on????


Last Friday, the 29th, I saw my doctor and he dropped the "i" word: Induction. This baby was not coming out on its own.

At first, I was relieved! My doctor was leaving for South America, so I would get to pick who would take over my case. I could pick my baby's birthday, arrange for care for my little fella, and even make sure the house was clean and everything was exactly as I wanted it before I left.

Then, I started thinking. And I got this terrible knot in my stomach. I was very uncomfortable with the thought of an induction. So what did I do? I prayed. A LOT! And God kept saying, "Wait." That's all I heard. No, "Hey, no worries!" or "This baby's going to be here by such-and-such day." Simply, "Wait."

Aaron and I made the decision together, and, against my doctor's advice, we postponed the induction. (For those of you who don't know, the optimal date to deliver is apparently by your due date. The placenta has a shelf life. If the placenta stops doing its job or dies... well.... I'm sure you don't need much elaboration.)

The induction had been scheduled for 12:05am August 3rd. Tuesday, I started to panic. I was incredibly anxious and worried. What if something went wrong with my placenta? Did I make the right decision? What if the baby died and there was something I could have done to prevent it? Not to mention all the "Where's that baby?" questions that were just pushing me over the edge. I asked several people to pray for me that day. Thank you to all of you who did! (Especially Precious, who was able to remind me to trust the Lord and get my head back in the game.) I truly believe the prayers Aaron, our friends and family, and I said helped!

I woke up the morning of August 3 feeling funny. I was crampy. Was this the day? Nah.... I had even started to joke that I was going for a world-record gestational period. This baby was staying in!

I lost my mucous plug and went into early labor around 8am. My contractions were 10 min apart, and I was fairly comfortable folding laundry, talking on the phone, and moving around the house. I even went into the doctor's office around 11:30 and when she checked me, I was exactly where I had been Monday morning. No progress. She said she'd see me tomorrow but if my labor progressed to go right to the hospital, as my son's labor and delivery had been so quick.

Here's where it gets really nice.

Aaron and I went home and were able to rest. My contractions were about seven minutes apart from 2pm to 3pm. Then it started getting serious. The contractions were suddenly two or three minutes apart and my hospital is almost 30 minutes away. It was time to move!

I was in a room by 4pm and was only 3cm dilated but 90% effaced. At 4:30, they checked me again and I was only 4cm dilated and 90% effaced. A new nurse was coming on. (I'm going to go ahead and call her "Hero" for all intents and purposes.) Hero said she was only filling in for about an hour, but the nurse she was taking over for joked that she'd probably still be there for my delivery.

At this point my contractions were hard and fast. I'm wasn't sure I wanted anything for the pain. I'm breathing through it. Hero is telling me that I'm doing great, I'm a pro! A little encouragement helped me to keep going.

About 4:40, I slapped my arm and asked if it was too late for the nurses to hook me up with a little IV assistance. It took about 5 minutes for the nurse to return and hook up an IV. Once the IV was started, I sort of barked that she better check me because I needed to push, now! Keep in mind, my contractions at this point are about a minute apart, I'm fighting the urge to push, and where is my Demerol?!? so my eyes were closed. Aaron says the nurse hit a button, ran out of the room, and suddenly there were four nurses in by us. Hero was dressed in a gown and mask and gloves. I know another nurse grabbed my leg and was giving Aaron directions.

Over the course of a few seconds, I apologized several times. "I know I'm not supposed to but I have to push!" I kept fighting my body but Hero looked me in the eye and said, "The baby's going to be here before the doctor. Don't worry; we've all delivered before."

I stopped fighting my body and just pushed. And in one fluid movement, the baby was out. She literally was out of my body before I even realized what was really going on.

Now, I'm panicking. I look down and there's a baby laying on the bed, and it's dark purple. I'm getting a little hysterical. The nurse explains that they haven't cleaned the baby's airways yet, but then it should be fine! "And Dad? Can you tell her what it is?"

It's a girl. 6 lbs, 10 oz, and 20.5" long. The nurses kept calling her a little dolly and peanut. She's just a tiny little thing!

Now if you know anything about having babies, you know that it's not over just because the baby is out. Mom has to deliver the placenta and then they have to assess the damages. I'm literally just sitting there waiting for my placenta to plop out. They offered to give the baby to me, but I was a bit distracted. All I could think was that I'd given one good push and a baby had just sort of fallen out of me. I'm awake, I feel good, and I want to get up, but I have to wait for this darn placenta and stitches!

Aaron held my hand and Hero kept me distracted until the doctor arrived. She told me how great I'd done and that in her nine years of working here, she'd never seen a delivery as fast as mine. She talked to me about how much better it was for me to have waited to have the baby naturally than to have been induced earlier that day. She said I was a natural--I was born to have babies. I kind of chuckled to myself. Afterall, she doesn't know what a hag I've been for the last 41 weeks!

All I've been able to think about is how gracious God is. He guided me when I was scared and unsure. He gave me a safe and fast delivery. He gave me a healthy daughter. What more could I ask for? (Besides a name...)







2 comments:

  1. Awesome birth story, cervix and all!! :) I'm so happy for you that you didn't have to be induced after all. I joke that one day my body will remember that it's not supposed to hang on to the baby until 42 weeks, but after 5 inductions I don't have much hope. Thankfully you waited - good job listening to that still, small voice!

    She's just so cute, and you all look wonderful! Happy baby-ing! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congrats, she is soooo beautiful!!!

    Leslie

    ReplyDelete

Hey! Thanks for sharing your thoughts!