CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Sunday, March 20, 2011

A New Eddie

So much has changed since my last post nearly two weeks ago.

It was very hard to let my dear Millie go, but it really was time. For a few days I felt as if there was a giant hole in my chest and was about to fall apart completely, but I never did. Somehow I began to heal up and feel whole again.

I think that healing was due in large part to our remaining beagle Eddie. Because of Millie's age and inability to control her bladder, Millie and Eddie had been living in our very large laundry room with lots of outside time and occasional time in the home--limited and highly supervised time in the home. My husband and I had to mop up Millie's messes daily. The cleaning took up to an hour and we spent a lot of money on gloves, cleaning detergents, swiffer pads, training pads, and paper towel. When Millie passed, Aaron and I agreed that Eddie should spend more time in the home. After a few too many beers one night, Aaron made the decision that Eddie should no longer sleep in the laundry room but in our home--specifically, in our bed.

Beagles are generally not aggressive dogs, but my beagles have been particularly sweet. I had forgotten just how sweet and affectionate they were.

Eddie has lost his best friend. I got him as a pup and Millie acted as surrogate. He always looked to her for comfort and affection, and she tolerated him snuggling up to her and tagging along. I think he's been in a bit of a mourning period, just as I have been. I think we are getting through this together. Since her passing, he has been my shadow in the house. He watches me do dishes from a corner of the living room couch and sleeps tight up against my side each night.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hey! Thanks for sharing your thoughts!