CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Wednesday, July 20, 2011

How to Fill the Hours While Waiting for a Baby - 38 weeks, 6 days

Here I am. We've got the finish line in sight.

I've got to admit, it's difficult not to get frustrated. I mean, I want this baby OUT! NOW!

I want to be my cute, bouncy self again! I want to do dishes, laundry, sweep, mop, and bake in consecutive order and not fall down from exhaustion. I want to run and flop onto my belly while playing on the slip 'n slide with Evan. I miss being physically close to my husband when we hug or dance.

On the other hand, I have to remind myself that every day that this baby hasn't come yet is one more day of life as we know it. I need to use these pre-baby days to the best of my advantage. Nap. Play games with Evan. Go to the grocery store with just my husband. Bake muffins. Make pasta salads. Hang laundry on the line. Read a book. Watch my favorite tv show. Go for ice cream, just because we can. Teach Evan how to play computer games on the Sesame Street website. Do the things that I enjoy doing without an infant to worry about.

This afternoon between therapy sessions and in the middle of this heat wave, I let Evan fill up his kiddie pool and thought we would just sit outside for 20 minutes or so, waiting for the next therapist to arrive. He just looked so bored and lonely that I, at 38 weeks and 6 days, decided to go inside, put on my bathing suit, and join him in the kiddie pool. I know it probably doesn't sound like much, but the heat and humidity that we are experiencing here in Wisconsin is quite out of the ordinary. Don't forget to factor in my large size and limited mobility.

I was Evan's hero for the day! He thought it was hilarious that I was in his pool, pretending to make my way down his tiny little slide, and splashing in the water. We kicked our feet, slapped our hands, and were dumping buckets of water on each other. We were both genuinely laughing and enjoying each other's company. Before I knew it, an hour had flown by!

His therapist had been at the house for half an hour and had done all the paperwork she could do, so we finally made our way inside and got dressed. Evan was smiling and laughing, saying things like, "You just play with me, Mom!", "I have fun with you!", and "I like playing water with you, Mom!"

What it really comes down to is that I need to be patient, take advantage of every pre-baby minute I have, and thank God for the opportunities He is providing for me while being patient and waiting for Him to decide when this new baby will come.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hey! Thanks for sharing your thoughts!