CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Wednesday, June 22, 2011

Childbirth Relaxation and Breathing

Wow! Things sure have changed since I was pregnant with little Evan four years ago! I seriously considered not taking any classes offered this time around. I mean, I've done this... Naturally... Against my will... I know what to expect. Aaron hasn't done this yet, so I signed up for his benefit. No, no, no, this was just as much for me as it was for Aaron!

The relaxation and breathing class was the lowest on my list of classes to attend. When in labor with Evan, Evan's dad, Bryan, was telling me to breathe and breathing with me. I'm pretty sure I yelled something to the effect of "I don't wanna breathe!" with a few less than colorful words mixed in there. I am so glad we went last night.

First, it started with a review of what physically happens inside and with the baby during labor and delivery. (I jokingly told Aaron it wasn't like the cartoons he had seen in his high school, as he had gone to a private high school and had virtually no sex education.) Aaron had a funny look on his face--the kind that tells me that he's scared, this is definitely unfamiliar territory, and he's trying to hold it together.

Then they brought in one of the hospital's physical therapists. One of her jobs is to perform a 15 minute complimentary massage to all laboring mommies and surgical patients who request it! Oooohhh! She was at the class to teach the daddies how to perform massages to help the laboring mommies. Of course the men actually had to perform these massages so that the instructors could give them pointers. I got a hand, back, and belly massage last night! This was never in any of the classes I took with Evan, and I took them ALL!

Finally, we tried a number of stretching and breathing techniques, most of which I remembered or had learned in my pregnancy yoga. The breathing drives me crazy, but I think I really am going to try to have a natural birth with this one just like I did with Evan. The breathing's worth a try.

In short, the class was only about two hours and both Aaron and I felt like it was informative and well-worth the time. We came up with a list of things to bring--massage lotion or oil, one of those massaging doo-dads--and a list of things we can request, such as a balance ball, a yoga mat, a complimentary massage, and extra pillows.

I just can't believe I got through Evan's labor and delivery in one piece. I had no idea what was going on. Bryan really didn't know what was going on, as he didn't go to the majority of classes. I was young and naive. I'm so glad in retrospect that my friend Bobbie was kind enough to come in and act as my birthing coach!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hey! Thanks for sharing your thoughts!