I feel like this picture says it all about this last weekend. Probably my favorite moment. He's got cake on his belly! Don't we all want cake on our bellies sometimes?
Friday was the actual birthday. He had some time with his dad and his dad's parents to unwrap gifts. Apparently he made quite the haul and was very excited that it was his birthday!
My grandparents (Evan's great-grandparents) brought a ham, a gluten-free shortcake for me, and strawberries and cool whip for dinner. I made a wishlist on Amazon.com for Evan's birthday, and my grandparents actually used it! They were so pleased to be able to get him items that he had picked out and was excited to receive!
No cake on his actual birthday, but Mr. Evan didn't mind at all! He was all about singing and blowing out those candles! I don't know who taught him about birthdays, but he sure picked up on them pretty quick!
He loved the new binoculars!
And believe it or not, he was really excited to get a wall clock for his room! (He's been changing where he wants it.)
And I'm pretty sure this was his favorite gift! Evan loves umbrellas and playing in the rain!
I sort of did a birthday weekend for Evan. I wanted this birthday to be really special and fun and exciting because it's the first time he's really understood what was going on. I also have really bad single-mom/child-in-a-split-home guilt.
Saturday was a mess. I was supposed to work 2-6, and as a family we'd do birthday party preparation and have a fire. But my co-worker apparently had plans to go to Country USA and get drunk and not bother to a) call in to work or b) show up for work. I only stayed until 10pm when the bar owner came in, but the day was pretty much shot. Evan's dad had to work, but he was a champ and picked up and paid for Evan's birthday cake at the bakery. I had planned on doing it but the bakery closes at 7. I couldn't get ahold of my husband, as he is also a champ and had taken my little Evan fishing and was on the lake, so I called my ex, who woke up, drove 30 minutes to pick up the cake, paid for it, and delivered it to my house, safely depositing it on the kitchen counter and out of reach of the dog. Evan is so very loved by so very many people. We are all so lucky that a really crappy situation isn't further complicated by no one caring or pulling their weight or stupid fighting.
Funny sidenote about Saturday: Less than 15 minutes after waking up Saturday morning, one of my cats starting on fire when she stood directly over a votive candle my husband had lit in the bathroom. I made a sarcastic comment that that day was sure to be a good one. I knew I believed in bad omens!
Anyway, Aaron and I got Evan a cd player and Veggie Tales cd. I would agree with you if you're thinking that's a very mature gift. And admittedly, Evan was quite disappointed that it was only for listening to and not for watching. But now he's getting the hang of it and enjoying it! He's jamming out in his room to Veggie Tales. Too funny!
Evan loved everyone singing "Happy Birthday" and blowing out his candles. He picked out his own cake this year!
Opening gifts.
Someone gave him a hopscotch mat. He knew what to do right away and loved it!
After the party ended, a few kids stuck around and played in the pool. (It was filthy! But they loved it.)
All this and you would think Evan would have been too tired to function after the party but not so. Aaron pulled out one last gift for him--a new fishing pole. He and another dad took Evan and two friends fishing until about 9pm last night.
Evan ended the day with pizza and popcorn in bed as I read him his bedtime stories. He told me had so much fun that day and was very, very happy. I kissed him good night and as I closed his bedroom door, I heard him singing "Happy Birthday" to himself.

No comments:
Post a Comment
Hey! Thanks for sharing your thoughts!